Zelliges and Bejmat
Zelliges and Bejmat tiles are entirely handmade. It is a unique and authentic product. Production uses natural materials as clay and organic pigments. Slight differences in color, shape and pattern are inherent to the production and the type of material. These slight deviations should be considered as normal. It are exactly these characteristics that give the tiles a unique character! It therefore requires a different treatment with regard to placing and maintaining other types of tiles.
Our advice is to always have Zelliges and Bejmat tiles placed by an approved tile placer company, who has experience with these specific tiles. For the best end result, it is important that the correct order of placement and treatment is maintained, only that way you are ensured of a wall/floor for life!
For placing the tiles:
- Flexible tile glue, suitable for natural stone
- Flexible grout, suitable for natural stone
- Tile spacers (2 mm)
- Water-cooled tile saw
- Plasterboard, glue bucket, glue comb (6 or 8 mm)
For cleaning and maintaining your tiles:
- Azule grout stain remover (cleaning agent)
- Lint free cloth
- Bucket and sponge
Apply primer to the wall for good adhesion.
Because Moroccan zellige tiles are handmade, Moroccan zellige tiles have to be mixed from different boxes in order to produce a gorgeous colour blend. Boxes may have colour differences!
Immerse Moroccan zellige tiles under water in a bucket for 30 to 60 seconds (Moroccan zellige tiles are otherwise too dry to glue). After this, put the damp Moroccan zellige tiles in an empty bucket to drain - after which the Moroccan zellige tiles can be glued.
Apply glue with a glue comb of 6 to 8 mm on both the wall and the back of the zellige tile
Place the Moroccan zellige tiles without applying too much pressure against the wall, preferably in an even number of 5 x 5 Moroccan zellige tiles. Moroccan zellige tiles can be fitted without using grout (dry).
Use a small plank of wood of approximately 15cm x 40 cm with another block of wood screwed on as a handle (make this yourself!) that you can use to put even pressure on Moroccan zellige tiles when gluing. Differences in thickness of the Moroccan zellige tiles will even out in the glue to leave the exposed sides a beautiful organic whole without any sharp edges. If needed, ‘align’ any protruding Moroccan zellige tiles by hand so they are in the correct position.
Moroccan zellige tiles can be sawn with a water cooled tile saw or with an angle-grinder with a diamond wheel. In each box there are some scruffier Moroccan zellige tiles, use these as ‘cutting tiles’. This way you can minimise ‘wastage’/ cutting losses!
When the glue is dry, usually a day later, the Moroccan zellige tiles can be grouted. Even when the Moroccan zellige tiles are glued without using grout (dry) they have to be grouted to ensure the surface is waterproof. It is best to use flexible grout (grout that is mixed with water) for this. The grout can be best used if it is nearly liquid (viscous). Apply it with a grout spatula. For best results the grout should be washed in diagonally to the Moroccan zellige tiles
Once the grout starts to dry (after approx. 30 minutes) remove/ wash off the excess grout with a dry cloth.
Moroccan zellige tiles can be cleaned with all kinds of soaps and detergents, contrary to cement tiles (these can only be cleaned with acid-free detergent). After tiling and after grouting with a waterproof grout, Moroccan zellige tiles are waterproof!
Congratulations, your tiles are ready to shine!
- Work in a clean and well- ventilated area.
- It’s best to mix tiles from different boxes together.
- Drain the Zelliges in water (1 minute). This will result in a better adhesion.
- Place the Zelliges as tight as possible next to each other. The spaces and imperfections that remain are to be grouted.
- Zelliges may contain seeds / pits which the might release the enamel at the top. This should be regarded as normal, these areas should also be filled with grout.
- Zelliges are not suitable for outdoors in a climate where it could freeze.
- If you are uncertain about the proper treatment or have questions about the treatment schedule, please feel free to contact our helpdesk. We will advise you in the best possible way to obtain a great result.